Photography GCSE

About the Course

GCSE Photography encourages students to explore visual information to develop ideas and work into photography-based outcomes. Experimentation with techniques, materials and equipment including digital and wet processes to develop an understanding of elements within photography are explored throughout the course. Photographers, designers, artists and directors are just a few of the influences that are used to inspire creative and innovative ideas within areas of photography. Students’ diverse and individual approaches can be realised in a variety of outcomes including graphic, fine art and moving image.

Exam Board

AQA Coursework Portfolio - 60% Practical Examination - 40%

Course Content

At Hall Cross we follow the AQA course. There are a wide variety of projects studied including skills workshops to learn about shutter speed, aperture and composure as well as darkroom-based photography skills where students create photograms. Artist inspired projects allow students to develop their analysis skills and independent projects allow them to focus on their own interests and develop their photographic outcomes. The course is 60% coursework and within this element, students create a portfolio of work which they showcase on their own website, alongside a selection of work printed using our A2 photographic printer. The other 40% of the course is an externally set assignment that concludes with a practical exam, allowing students to create independent outcomes for their examination project.

Beyond the Classroom

Pupils who are successful at GCSE could continue to study Photography at A level. Groups are limited in size and therefore a clear focus at GCSE is important to progress on to A level. We have a 100% pass rate at A level and our pupils have the chance to take part in trips to develop their work and ideas. Having an A level in Photography can lead to a range of degree courses and career options including marketing, portrait photographer, commercial photographer, scientific photographer, photojournalist, news or freelance photographer. The careers this subject could lead you to is :
  • Advertising Photographer
  • Commercial Photographer
  • Editorial/Press Photographer
  • Forensic Photographer
  • Freelance Photographer
  • Gallery Curator
  • Journalist
  • Magazine Editor
  • Medical/Clinical Photographer
  • Photographic Stylist
  • Portrait Photographer
  • Sports Photographer
  • Visual Merchandising
  • Wedding Photographer
  • Wildlife Photographer

Your Future

From a Student Perspective In photography I have learnt many techniques and ways in which I can enhance my photos. It has also inspired me to go to different places to do photoshoots. I am really passionate about this subject. - Year 11 Student