Travel and Tourism GCSE

About the Course

This qualification gives learners the opportunity to gain a broad knowledge and understanding of the Travel and Tourism sector. They will explore some of the key areas within the industry, including travel and tourism organisations and destinations, factors that affect the industry and the needs of different types of customers.

Exam Board

Pearson</b This qualification is assessed by a combination of internal and external units. A two hour externally assessed exam, which makes up 40% of the final grade. The remaining 60% is made up of two coursework components; Travel and Tourism Organisations and Destination and Customer Needs in Travel and Tourism.

Course Content

Component 1: Travel and Tourism Organisations and Destinations - in this unit you will investigate the main purpose and aims of different types of travel and tourism organisations. You will also investigate how different travel and tourism organisations work together to save money and provide better levels of customer care. Component 2: Customer Needs in Travel and Tourism - in this unit you will investigate how travel and tourism organisations use market research to identify trends to match products and services to meet customer needs. Looking at the impact that global influences have on travel and tourism industries and how they respond to these trends. Component 3: Influences on Global Travel and Tourism - in this unit you will investigate different factors that affect the travel and tourism sector such as naturally occurring events, human events and global economic recession.

Beyond the Classroom

Students can progress onto level three courses, apprenticeships or employment within the sector including cabin crew and resort representative. The careers this subject could lead you to is :
  • Airline Customer Service Agent
  • Airline Pilot
  • Airport Information Assistant
  • Cabin Crew
  • Cruise Ship Steward
  • Driver
  • Heritage Officer
  • Hotel Manager
  • Hotel Porter
  • Hotel Room Attendant
  • Housekeeper
  • Interperpreter
  • Museum Attendant
  • Port Operative¬†
  • Resort Representative
  • Sailing Instructor
  • Tour Manager
  • Tourist Guide
  • Tourist Information Centre Assistant
  • ¬†Travel Agency Manager
  • Travel Agent
  • Visitor Attraction General Manager